Keith's tweets.......

    follow me on Twitter

    Wednesday 12 September 2007

    Here is a press release I am sending out on the Quay Hill Pavement which is being repaired.  I can only say how delighted I am that all my work on the issue has paid off.  I was criticised by others for making a fuss in the local and national media (I was on the Matt Cooper Show) over the state of the path and the very long time it took to repair it but I have been vindicated in the end. The Path is repaired at last.

     

    Thanks to all who offered their support and to those who offered to help me with the cement and the work.  Cheers!

     

    Welcome for Quay Hill Pavement Repairs

     

    Repairs are underway on Westport's street of shame, as the Quay Hill Pavement was dubbed by Cllr Keith Martin earlier in the year and they have been very warmly welcomed by the Labour councillor who dramatically championed the issue of repairs to the pavement.

     

    Cllr Martin made the state of the pavement a major issue of the summer when he submitted to Mayo County Council Officials 18 photographs of 18 separate potholes on the pavement and threatened to repair the street himself if Mayo County Council did not take action.  At the time Cllr Martin threatened to "mix the cement myself and fill in the holes" adding that he intended to shame the council into action or to carry out the works myself."

     

    At the time Cllr Martin claimed, "Whole sections of the concrete pavement had sunk down up to three inches and elsewhere along the path the curbing has crumbled away. The tarmacadam covered section of the path has actually been worn away down to the stone chips underneath."

     

    According to Cllr Keith Martin "Mayo County Council staff began work on the pavements this week and are making excellent progress.  The Quay Hill Pavement is one of the most important pedestrian links in the town and is vital in connecting the Town with the Quay.  This has been a major issue for the town for too long and I am glad to see it come to a very satisfactory conclusion."


    No comments: