Keith's tweets.......

    follow me on Twitter

    Friday 8 August 2008

    Statement on Convent Deposit

    I welcome the placing of a deposit on the convent and I think it all but guarantees that we will be purchasing the property as a new civic office in conjunction with Mayo County Council but I regret that our Cathaoirleach was not allowed to be the person to make the news public. 

     

    I think that in keeping with council protocol and precedent that the Cathaoirleach should have been the person to head this issue up in conjunction with the head of the area committee of Mayo Co Co advised by the Manager Mr Peter Hynes. 

     

    The convent, like Station Rise and Tubberhill, is a project of all nine councillors and all such announcements should, in my opinion come from the head of the council, the Cathaoirleach. 

     

    In my opinion Cllr Margaret Adams broke council protocol and precedent in announcing the placing of a deposit on the convent to the media. In doing so she has usurped the role of the Cathaoirleach as head of the council and undermined the chair of the Westport Local Area Committee of Mayo County Council. 
     
    In my opinion Cllr Adams is desperate to portray herself to the public as the driving force behind the purchase at the expense of the other town and county councillors who have all a role to pay in driving and approving the purchase. 
     
    I think Cllr Adams is showboating on this issue because of next year's elections and I think its shameful that she is trying to take credit for the project.  In future she should leave such matters to the Cathaoirleach otherwise what's to stop any councillor taking sole credit for the work of the council at the expense of the other councillors?

    No comments: