Keith's tweets.......

    follow me on Twitter

    Saturday 25 January 2014

    About Keith

    I was elected to Westport Town Council in 2004 as an Independent candidate.  I ran on several local issues of concern to the residents of my area and on some larger, town-wide issues.  I joined the Labour Party two years later because I realised my goals were in line with Labour’s.

    As part of my council work I attend one monthly meeting of the council, an annual budget meeting and many committee meetings in relation to council sub committees and events.

    In addition to this I serve on many local committees and groups such as Westport Community Radio which I helped to found three years ago.  I used my experience and position to make the case for funding and to date I have sourced €60,000 in funds for the station.

    In addition to this kind of work I have also helped to develop my locality.  When I was elected in 2003 my area of the Golf Course Road had no social facilities.  Today it has a greenway, a park, football pitch, playground , walkway and a primary school.  It also has a community building providing many classes and supports for children such as a crèche and homework club.

    On a wider scale I have used my position as a councillor to work with the Irish Film Board in promoting Westport and Mayo as a venue for film making both small and feature film productions and I soon hope to establish a county wide film board for Mayo.

    Shortly after my re-election in 2009 I was unable to complete paperwork relating to campaign spending due to a serious illness and when I missed the deadline I was automatically barred from taking my seat for 5 years.

    The only remedy was to go the Circuit Court where the Court ruled that the bar should be lifted due to my illness and I retook my seat on Westport Town Council.  I am the only person in the country to have had this bar overturned.

    Currently I am campaigning against the abolition of Town Councils.

    No comments: