Keith's tweets.......

    follow me on Twitter

    Friday 22 June 2007

    Of the people, for the people, by the people


    Next week Westport Town Council will meet to elect your Mayor for a year. I think this is wrong. I think you should elect the person you want to be Mayor and I think that person should be given the power to make the day to day decisions that effect your life.


    The current system means that a councillor is elected by the others to serve a one year term of office. I think that they should serve a full five year term. One year is not enough time to achieve anything significant and there is no continuation of policies or priorities as these change from individual to individual.


    Also the office is too weak. A Mayor should have the power to get things done in co-operation with the councillors. Currently all day to day powers rest with the Manager as opposed to your elected councillors.


    John Gormley is now the man with the power to change local government and put the power back in your hands and in the hands of your elected representatives. He has promised to publish reforms in six months. I hope he will deliver.

    No comments: