Keith's tweets.......

    follow me on Twitter

    Friday 9 March 2007

    Campaign to reopen the Westport Resource Centre

    I am continuing my campaign to have the Westport Resource Centre reopened in Westport. I believe the centre has a huge role to play in Westport's society.

    The centre is a tool for social inclusion and an aid to the marginalised in Westport. Despite unprecedented prosperity we still have a huge gap between the haves and have nots and between those with easy access to knowledge and those who don't.

    In a town without a FAS office, without a Citizen's Advise Centre, without Trade Union offices, Legal Aid or a Money, Advice and Budgeting Service the centre acted as a starting point for people in need of help or futher information.

    The centre provided information on workers rights, on the rights of tenants of public and private landlords of consumer rights and the details of the Ombudsmen.

    The centre provided information on available accomodation, job and career opportunities and skills, training and further education possibilities.

    The centre also provided those with the skills and or access to PCs with CV, typing, letter writing and form filling in addition to fax facilities.

    The Westport Resource Centre did all this and more and despite its central role there was no consultation or notice of its closure and it was closed overnight and its offices stripped of all facilities and equipment by the Irish Congress of Trade Unions in Mayo.

    Westport needs this resource centre reopened and I have been contacting and meeting with all those who can help me reopen this centre. I am currently investigating these proposals and I am confident that we can reopen the centre.

    If you can help or would like to help just e-mail me at kmartin@cllr.westporttc.ie or give me a call on 086 0691182.

    No comments: