Keith's tweets.......

    follow me on Twitter

    Monday 25 February 2008

    Crime and Policing

    Westport like every other town and village has a growing problem in relation to Anti-social behaviour and crime.

    The extent of the problem in Westport was brought home to me in the report from the Superintendent of Westport which revealed that 50 burglaries were committed in the Westport district between the months of January and May. This is in stark contrast to a total of 58 burglaries for 2006.

    There were 56 cases of Public Order offences between January to May 2007 and in the same period there were 56 cases of Criminal Damage.

    I have also been contacted by residents in Cloonmonad and the Northwoods area whose quality of life is being disrupted by anti-social behaviour such as drinking, littering and noise from drunk and abusive persons.

    I don't think enough is being done to combat this and I have asked the Westport Branch of the Labour Party to arrange a Public Meeting on the subject. Justice Spokesperson Pat Rabbitte TD has agreed to come and speak and when the rest of the line up and date and venue is confirmed I will let you know.

    No comments: