Keith's tweets.......

    follow me on Twitter

    Saturday 4 April 2009

    Allotments

    I attended a very interesting meeting on Thursday evening on Allotments.

    There were about 40 people there half of whom were ready to sign up for a little allotment to grow their own vegetables and flowers, some for economic and environmental reasons and some for fun.  I fall into the later.  I have wonderful memories of growing our own vegetables in Achill and of helping my Grandad with his runner beans on his allotment.

    The meeting discussed the various aspects in relation to securing an allotment and I pointed out what I regarded as the steps necessary to take to get the ball rolling namely

    • advertise the criteria for the land and invite interested landowners to come forward
          • The criteria being south facing, level ground, with parking area, near a road and a water mains, etc etc
    • gather a petition or list of those expressing an interest in allotments to show council the great interest in the scheme
    • put together a management association to manage and run the allotments scheme and take the administration burden away from the council
    There is 50% funding available from Leader for this kind of project and it will just be up to the council to come up with 50% of the cost, agree the lease or purchase of lands and hand the project over the management association and its done.

    In June of last year I began my call for allotments for Westport and I welcome the great public interest in the idea as evidenced by the large meeting on Wednesday night.

    I am excited that the project has moved so far along and I will be raising the issue at our next council meeting.




    No comments: